THE LOCATION FOR THE WEDNESDAY, MARCH 12, 2014 JSUSD BOARD MEETING HAS CHANGED:
RODEO HILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MPR
545 GARRETSON AVENUE
RODEO, CA 94572
5:30PM* CLOSED SESSION 6:30 PM OPEN SESSION
*COMMENTS ON CLOSED SESSION ITEMS WILL BE HEARD AT 5:30 PM
JOHN SWETT UNIFIED SCHOOL
COMMON CORE STANDARDS
PARENT INFORMATIONAL NIGHT
TUESDAY: APRIL 1ST, 2014
6:30 P.M. @
CARQUINEZ MIDDLE SCHOOL LIBRARY
PTA CO-SPONSORED EVENT
10 Things Parents Need to Know About The Common Core State Standards!
- What are the Common Core State Standards?
- What subjects does the Common Core cover?
- Why were the Standards written and how will students benefit from them?
- Who developed the Standards?
- Does the Common Core tell teachers how to teach?
- How does the Common Core affect what students learn in ELA?
- How do the Standards affect what students learn in math?
- What is Smarter Balanced?
- How can I help my child?
- How is JSUSD shifting to the Common Core State Standards?
Come to our Parent Information Night!!!!
State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Partnering with California PTA
to Provide Common Core Resources to Parents
“This is a crucial time for public education,” said California State PTA President Colleen A.R. You. “The new Common Core standards will help us prepare all students for college and careers, and help them develop vital critical thinking and deeper learning skills. We’re delighted to have Superintendent Torlakson’s support in sharing information as widely as possible with parents about what the new standards will mean for their children and schools.”
Originally developed by the National PTA, each guide includes:
- An overview of some of the key items students will learn in the Common Core State Standards for English-language arts and mathematics.
- Ideas for activities that enable parents to support learning at home.
- Topics of discussion for talking with teachers about student academic progress.
These state-developed standards, which California and 45 other states have voluntarily adopted over the past few years, are designed to provide all students with the deeper learning, critical thinking, and other skills they need to prepare for college and a career. They describe what students should know and be able to do at each grade level.
The guides are available in English and Spanish on the California State PTA site.